For the Lemon Dressing
- juice of one orange
- juice of one lemon
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- agave or honey to taste (optional)
For the Salad
- about 4-5 cups arugula, spinach, or a greens blend
- about 2 cups cooked wild rice
- about 2 cups chopped mangos
- ½ cup cashews
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup sliced red onions
- minced fresh parsley (optional)
- Shake all dressing ingredients together in a jar with a tight lid until smooth. Taste it and add more salt and pepper as needed (without enough salt and pepper, it will be bland, so s&p generously).
- Arrange or toss the salad ingredients together in a bowl, reserving a few slices of red onion to arrange over the top for looks. Drizzle with the dressing and toss to combine. Serve immediately after putting the dressing on the salad (or save everything separately and assemble just before serving).
Also good on this salad: apples, grapes, pecans, walnuts, feta cheese, goat cheese, white cheddar cheese (especially with apples), quinoa, farro, etc.
The wild rice tastes best in this salad when you cook it in something other than just water. I like to cook mine in part water, part vegetable or chicken stock. Also – I recommend making the wild rice the day before and refrigerating it overnight so you’re not dealing with hot wild rice wilting your greens as you toss it together in the salad bowl.
Get helpful tips as well as many other delicious recipes at: pinchofyum.com