- For the wings:
- 2 1/2 pounds party style chicken wings (or whole chicken wings that have been halved crosswise)
- ¼ cup kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 garlic cloves , smashed
- 1 tablespoon of barbecue , poultry or grill seasoning
- 8 cups water
- cooking spray
- cilantro leaves and lemon wedges for garnish (Optional)
- For the barbecue sauce:
- 1 cup Dr Pepper (I prefer regular but Diet will work too)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 3 tablespoons of steak sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Bring one cup of water to a boil (I use the microwave) and pour the water into a very large bowl. Add the salt and honey to the water and stir until the salt has dissolved.
Add the garlic and seasoning to the bowl. Pour 7 cups of very cold water over everything and stir until combined.
Place the chicken wings in the brine, cover the bowl and put it into the refrigerator. Chill for at least 2 hours but no more than 8 hours.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray. Remove the chicken wings from the brine and pat dry with a paper towel. Place the wings in a single layer on the baking sheet. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until wings are a deep golden brown.
While the wings are in the oven, make the sauce. Combine all the ingredients in a heavy saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, until slightly thickened.
Pour the sauce over the wings and toss to coat.
Serve the wings immediately with cilantro leaves and lemon wedges to garnish if desired.
Get helpful tips as well as many other delicious recipes at: dinneratthezoo.com