- 2 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached Self-Rising Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into cubes (cold)
- 2/3 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese (cold)
- 2 green onions, sliced thin
- 3/4 cup cold buttermilk
- 4 Tablespoons salted butter, melted, divided
- flaked sea salt, for topping
- Heat oven to 425°F. Add seasoned cast iron skillet to the oven while it’s heating up.
- Prep the butter, cut into cubes. Grate the cheese. Add both back to the refrigerator.
- Measure flour into a large mixing bowl. Add butter and cut it into the flour with a pastry blender or 2 forks until crumbs are the size of peas.
- Add cheddar cheese and sliced green onions. (Reserve some cheese and green onions for the tops of the biscuits, if desired).
- Add buttermilk, stirring with a fork just until flour is moistened.
- Remove dough from the bowl and place on a lightly floured surface. Knead the dough 5 to 6 times. Pat the dough until it’s about 3/4- to 1-inch thick. Cut out 2 1/4 inch biscuits with a cutter. Pat the dough together and flatten out again and cut biscuits until there’s no dough left, about 10 to 11 biscuits.
- Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in the microwave. Remove cast iron carefully from the oven and add about 1 tablespoon of melted butter, tilting the pan to distribute the butter.
- Add 5 to 6 biscuits evenly spaced and brush melted butter on top of the biscuits. Bake for about 8 to 9 minutes. Remove the cast iron skillet, brush more butter on top and add flaked sea salt. Bake for another 2 to 4 minutes. (You can bake them all at once if you can fit them in the cast iron skillet, just know that they won’t maintain their round shape. If you’re okay with that, they will course taste the same!)
- Get helpful tips as well as many other delicious recipes at: thelittlekitchen.net